- Transfacial Approaches
- Lateral Skullbase Approaches
Dr. C. Rayappa
Dr. C. Rayappa, MBBS, DLO, FRCS (Edin)
Dept. of ENT – Head & Neck and Skullbase Surgery
Apollo Speciality Hospital, Chennai, India
Dr. C. Rayappa graduated from Madras Medical College, Chennai, India in 1982. He completed his post graduation in Otolaryngology (ENT) from the same institution and had his advanced training at Sunderland General Hospital, U.K. from 1987 to 1992.
He qualified to become a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons [FRCS] of Edinburgh in 1989. Under the guidance of Mr. Peter Samuel, Mr. Ian Mackee, Mr. S.S.Pillai & Mr. Ian Hopper he gained practical experience in Micro Ear Surgery, Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery and Head & Neck Tumour Surgery. He visited many leading centers in Europe and USA learning the finer aspect of skull base surgery, including, Prof. Ugo Fisch of University of Zurich, Switzerland, who is a pioneer in lateral skull base surgery. From 1992 to 1994 he worked at King Faisal Specialist Hospital in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia which is a tertiary care hospital, that specializes in Head & Neck Tumour Surgery and skull base surgery.
Dr. C. Rayappa started the Department of ENT - Head & Neck and Skull Base Surgery at Apollo Speciality Hospital, Chennai, India, in 1995. His multidisciplinary team which includes Radiation Oncologist, Medical Oncologist, Neurosurgeons, Plastic & Reconstructive surgeons, Maxillofacial prosthodontists - work together to develop treatment plans using the latest technology and the most advanced surgical techniques and therapies for patients with head & neck cancer and skull base tumours. Continued efforts of the team to improve the quality of care has made this unit one of the best in head & neck tumour surgery and skull base surgery in the Indian Subcontinent.
Minimally invasive endoscopic skull base surgery through the nose without a skin incision is being done by Dr. C. Rayappa since 1997 for conditions like pituitary adenoma, clival chordoma, meningocoele (herniation of brain and its covering into the nose) and CSF leak (all of which earlier needed opening of the skull for access).
Registration No.37522, Tamil Nadu Medical Council, India
Full Registration No.3630246, General Medical Council, U.K.
Additional practical training :
- Temporal Bone Dissection and Advanced Micro-ear Surgery Demonstration Course, Chennai – February 1986.
- Rhinoplasty Course, Chennai – 1986.
- Xomed audiant Bone Conductor Workshop, Middlesbrough, U.K. – 1989.
- Portmann’s Course on Microsurgery in Otology and Otoneurology, Bordeaux, France – July 1989.
- Functional Endoscopic Nasal Surgery Course, London – February 1990.
- Major Facial Reconstruction Course, London – February 1990.
- Advanced Otology Course, Birmingham, U.K. – September 1990.
- Plastic Surgery of the Nose, London – February 1991.
- Facial Soft Tissue Course, London – February 1991.
- Clinical Audiology Course, Southampton, U.K. – April 1991.
- Open Structure Rhinoplasty Course, New Orleons, USA – November 1991.
- Cochlear Implant Surgical Workshop, Hannover, Germany – November 1991.
- Clinical Fellowship in Skull Base Surgery, Zurich, Switzerland – 17-02-92 to 06-03-92.
- American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery’s 96 th Annual Meeting,Washington DC – September 1992.
- AO/ASIF Maxillofacial Course, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia – October 1992.
- 5th International Course on Endoscopic Surgery of the Paranasal Sinuses, Brussels & Cologne – August 1992.
- Course on Lateral Approaches to Skull Base, Piacenza, Italy – 14 to 19 October 1996.
- Organ Preservation Surgery of the Larynx, Sydney, Australia - March 2004.
- Endoscopic Skullbase Surgery Workshop, Mumbai, India - April 2004.
- Role of Allergy Clinic in the treatment of Nasal Allergy - The Antisepctic. Vol.81 No.5 May 1984 Pages 245-249
- Laryngo-tracheal Injuries – Aetiology, Prevention and Management - The Antiseptic Vol.81 No.12 Dec.1984 Pages 685-688
- Neoglottis Phonatoria - Indian Journal of Otolaryngology. Vol.37 No.3 September 1985
- Resection and Re-anastamosis for the management of Tracheal Stenosis - Indian Journal of Otolaryngoloy Vol.39 No.4 Dec.1987
- A study of Haemostasis following tonsillectomy comparing ligatures and diathermy - The Journal of Laryngology and Otology. Vol.107 August 1993 Pages 711-715
- Intraoral Sebaceous Carcinoma - The Journal of Laryngology and Otology. Vol.110 May 1996 Pages 500-502
- Solitary Fibrous Tumour of the Infratemporal Fossa - The Journal of Laryngology and Otology. Vol.110 June 1996 Pages 594-597
- Thyroplasty Type I - Indian Journal of Endocrine Surgery. Vol.5 No.5 Nove 2000 Pages 17 – 18
- Skullbase Surgery - A booklet which briefly describes the various approaches to skullbase with illustrative case reports. 2001.
- Endoscopic Transsphenoidal surgery for Acromegaly - Indian Journal of Endocrine Surgery. Vol.6 No.6 Nov 2001 Pages 35 - 36
- Giant Cell tumour of Clivus – Report of 2 cases - Sent for publication – Journal of Laryngology and Otology
- Jugular Foramen Meningioma – Report of 2 cases - Sent for publication - Journal of Laryngology and Otology
- Chondroblastoma of Temporomandibular region - Sent for publication - Journal of Laryngology and Otology
- Endoscopic Pituitary Surgery – Our experience with first 150 cases - Sent for publication - Journal of Laryngology and Otology
- Advantage of reconstructing the Tongue using Gastro-omental microvascular flap - in preparation
- Reconstruction of Mandible using Fibula Microvascular flap and Osseointegrated Dental Implants – our experience - in preparation
- Endoscopic management of petrous apex cyst - in preparation
- "Surgical management of malignant tumours of nose and ethmoid sinuses”. Comprehensive management of Tumours of the Nasal Cavity & Paranasal sinuses at Jaslok Hospital, Mumbai. Co-Sponsored by Indian Society of Head & Neck Oncology. 22 nd & 23 rd December 2001.
- Surgical management of malignant lesions of Nasopharynx (Nasopharyngectomy)” Presented at the annual conference of Foundation for Head & Neck Oncology, Bangalore. January 2002.
- Reconstruction of tongue with Gastro-omental flap after Total Glossectomy” Presented at AOI south zone and Tamilnadu state conference, Chennai. Sept. 2002 - Won the Gold medal
- Management of Neck in Head & Neck Cancer”. CANCER CI – 2003. Hyderabad. 24 th August 2003
- Lateral approaches to Skullbase” Presented at the annual conference of Foundation for Head & Neck Oncology, Kolkata 2003.
- Endoscopic surgery of the sella and clival region” Guest lecture at the Royal College of Otolaryngologists of Srilanka 2003.
- Moderated the panel discussion on ‘Head and Neck Reconstruction’ Foundation for Head & Neck Oncology, New Delhi -January 2004.
- Skull base surgery – Lateral approaches” Foundation for Head & Neck Oncology, New Delhi. January 2004
- Nasopharyngectomy for Nasopharyngeal carcinoma” Invited lecture – 4 th SAARC ENT Congress, Colombo, Sri Lanka-September 2004.
- Management of mandible in oral and oropharyngeal tumours” Invited lecture – 4 th SAARC ENT Congress, Colombo, Sri Lanka - September 2004.
- Endoscopic management of lesions of sella turcica” Presented at 4 th SAARC ENT Congress, Colombo, Sri Lanka - September 2004.
- Surgical approaches to pterygopalatine and infratemporal fossa for nasopharyngeal tumours”Invited lecture – 9 th Asian Research Symposium in Rhinology & 10 th Biennial Congress of the Trans-Pacific Allergy & Immunology Society – held at Mumbai, India - November 2004.
- Approaches to anterior skullbase tumours” Invited lecture - Foundation for Head & Neck Oncology, Hyderabad. January 2005
- Transfacial approaches to skullbase” Invited lecture - 57 th Annual Conference of the Association of Otolaryngologists of India, Hyderabad. January 2005
- Current management of sinusitis” CME, Apollo Speciality Hospital, Chennai. January 2005
- Skullbase surgery” CME, Sankaranethralaya, Chennai, February 2005
- Management of tumours of parapharyngeal space” CME, Sundaram Medical Foundation, Chennai, February 2005
- Nasopharyngectomy” CME, Sundaram Medical Foundation, Chennai, February 2005
- Hoarseness” CME, Apollo Speciality Hospital, Chennai. August 2005
- Nasopharyngectomy” Invited lecture – 11th ASEAN ORL Head and Neck Congress, Bali, Indonesia. 23 -25 August 2005
- Going beyond filling a hole – Refinements in head & neck reconstruction” Invited lecture – 11 th ASEAN ORL Head and Neck Congress, Bali, Indonesia. 23 -25 August 2005
- Transnasal endoscopic approach to petrous apex arachnoid cyst, ” Presented at AOI south zone and Tamilnadu state conference, Pondicherry - Sept. 2005 - Won the Gold medal
Association of Otolaryngologists of India
Indian Society of Otology
Indian Society of Oncology
Foundation for Head and Neck Oncology
Dr. C. Rayappa’s special interests are:
Head & Neck and Skull base Surgery for tumours of the mouth, pharynx (throat), larynx (voice box), nasal cavity, sinuses, ear, soft tissue tumours and tumours of parotid and other salivary glands.
Micro ear surgery for deafness, discharging ear and facial nerve paralysis.
Functional endoscopic sinus surgery.
Minimally invasive endoscopic skull base surgery for conditions like pituitary adenoma, CSF leak and meningocoele.